CUET (UG) 2023 – Overview & Major Changes Introduced
National Testing Agency has released the official notification for conducting the Common University Entrance Test [CUET (UG) - 2023] for Admission to Undergraduate Programmes into Central Universities and other participating Universities & Institutions on 9th February 2023 by the National Testing Agency. As per the notification, several major changes have been introduced in the CUET Exam pattern for 2023.The Agency has begun the registration process for the Common University Entrance Test, Undergraduate (CUET UG) 2023. The last date to register for CUET UG 2023 was March 12th. However this date has been exteneted to March 30th.
Understanding the revised CUET exam pattern is essential for anyone preparing for CUET 2023 exam. It can help candidates to prepare more effectively, focus on the most important topics, manage their time more efficiently, and reduce anxiety and stress on the day of the exam.
In this article, we will discuss the several major changes that have been introduced in CUET Exam pattern by the National testing agency including the Registration Fees, Number of Subject choices, Number of questions in each section, etc, but before that let us understand the broad features of CUET 2023 Exam.
CUET 2023 Broad FeaturesUnderstanding the broad features of the CUET 2023 before taking it is crucial as it will help you prepare for it more effectively. Also, it can help you make strategic decisions during the exam. By knowing the CUET Exam pattern, format, and content of the exam, you can tailor your study plan to focus on the areas that will be tested. This can save you time and effort and increase your chances of success.
Also, when you know what to expect on the day of the exam, you are less likely to be caught off guard by unexpected questions or surprises. This can help you stay calm and focused during the exam and perform to the best of your ability.
The following table will help you understand the broad features of the CUET 2023 Exam:
|Mode of the Test
|Computer Based Test-CBT
|Objective type with Multiple Choice Questions
|13 languages ( Tamil, Telugu, Kannada, Malayalam, Marathi, Gujarati, Odiya, Bengali, Assamese, Punjabi, English, Hindi, and Urdu)
|Section IA & IB: Language to be tested through Reading Comprehension (based on different types of passages–Factual, Literary, and Narrative [Literary Aptitude & Vocabulary]
|Section II: As per the NCERT model syllabus as applicable to Class XII only
|Section III: General Knowledge, Current Affairs, General Mental Ability, Numerical Ability, Quantitative Reasoning (Simple application of basic mathematical concepts arithmetic/algebra geometry/mensuration/stat taught till Grade 8), Logical and Analytical Reasoning
|Registration will be done online at https://cuet.samarth.ac.in/
CUET 2023 Last Date to Register (Extended)The National Testing Agency has extended the CUET UG 2023 registration deadlines. As per the revised timeline, the registration period for CUET UG 2023 will now close on March 30, 2023. UGC Chairman M. Jagadesh Kumar on March 10, 2023, announced that the registration period for CUET UG 2023 has been extended up to March 30. The extension of CUET UG 2023 Application Deadline was decided to enable more universties to use CUET UG 2023 scores for undergraduate admissions. The UGC Chairman took to twitter to announce the extension of the application deadline. “CUET UG 2023 application submission date extended till March 30,” M Jagadesh Kumar tweeted from his official handle today. As per the previous schedule, the last date to apply for CUET UG 2023 was March 12, 2023. So with the extension of the CUET UG 2023 Application, interested and eligible candidates can submit their CUET UG 2023 Application forms online on cuet.samarth.ac.in by March 30, 2023.
CUET Exam Pattern 2023 (Revised)The CUET 2023 aspirants need to be aware of the recent changes introduced to the exam pattern as soon as possible. This will give them enough time to adjust their study plan and focus their efforts on the areas that are most relevant to the revised CUET exam pattern.
You can go through the following table to understand the examination pattern for CUET (UG) 2023 exam. You can also attempt the CUET 2023 mock tests at Smartkeeda which are designed according to the latest CUET Exam pattern prescribed by the National Testing Agency to get well-familiarized with the 2023 CUET Exam Pattern.
- Earlier in the domain test, the candidates were required to attempt 40 questions out of 50. This year, as per the revised CUET Exam pattern, the candidates have to attempt 35/40 Questions out of 45/50 in section II, i.e, the Domain knowledge test.
- In section III, i.e, General Test, the maximum number of questions have been reduced to 60 and you can attempt any 50 out of them. Earlier the candidates were required to attempt 60 questions out of 75.
|Questions to be attempted
|Section IA -Languages
|There are 13 different languages. Any of these languages may be chosen.
|40 questions to be attempted out of 50 in each language
|Reading Comprehension (based on different types of passages– Factual, Literary, and Narrative, [Literary Aptitude and Vocabulary]
|45 Minutes for each language
|Section IB - Languages
|There are 20 Languages. Any of these languages may be chosen.
|Section II - Domain
|There are 27 Domains specific subjects being offered under this section. A candidate may choose any subject as desired by the applicable University/ Universities.University/ Universities can be chosen
|35/40 Questions to be attempted out of 45/50.
• Input text can be used for MCQ Based Questions
• MCQs based on the syllabus given on the NTA website
|45 Minutes for each Domain Specific Subject.
|Section III - General Test
|For any such undergraduate programme/programmes being offered by Universities where a General Test is being used for admission
|50 Questions to be attempted out of 60
· Input text can be used for MCQ Based Questions
· General Knowledge, Current Affairs, General Mental Ability, Numerical Ability, Quantitative Reasoning (Simple application of basic mathematical concepts arithmetic/ algebra geometry/ menstruation /stat taught till Grade 8), Logical and Analytical Reasoning
Revised Fee StructureThis year the CUET examination fees for each category have also been revised. Also, for CUET (UG) – 2023, fees will be charged based on the number of subjects chosen by the candidates.
- The National Testing Agency (NTA) has also increased the registration fee for the CUET 2023 exam based on the number of subjects chosen by the candidates. Earlier, the Unreserved Category students opting for up to four subjects were required to pay a registration fee of Rs. 650. This year, the students have to pay Rs. 750 for choosing up to 3 subjects.
- Earlier, for choosing centres outside India, the students were required to pay 3000/- for each slot. However, with the revised CUET 2023 fee structure, this fee has also been increased to 3750/-
|Number of Subjects
|Fee Payable by candidates [CUET (UG) – 2023] in INR Centres in India
Centres outside India
|(OBC)- (NCL) / EWS
|SC/ST/PwBD/ Third gender
|Up to 3 subjects
|Up to 7 subjects
|Up to 10 subjects
Schedule of ExaminationAs per the official notification of CUET 2023 released by NTA, there is also a change in the schedule of the examination as follows:
- Earlier the exam was held in two slots - - shift 1 from 9 AM to 12.15 PM and shift 2 from 3 PM to 6.45 PM.
- Candidates were allowed to select Slot I or Slot II or both the Slots as per the tests required to be opted as applicable to the desired course/s of the desired University/ies.
- This year, the CUET examination will be conducted on multiple days in three slots per day. There will be three shifts conducted in a day.
|Date of Examination
|21 to 31 May 2023 (Reserve Dates: 01 to 07 June 2023)
|Mode of Examination
|“Computer Based Test (CBT)” mode
|Timing of Examination
|To be notified later
|Duration of Examination
CUET (UG) 2023 – Subjects CombinationCommon University Entrance Test (CUET) offers a bouquet of Languages/ Domain(Subjects) /General Tests covering most of the subjects/languages offered by most Universities. The candidate needs to choose the test he is required to appear in, as required for admission to the desired course in the desired University.
As per the official notification regarding the CUET exam pattern, CUET (UG) examination shall consist of the following 4 Sections:
- Section IA – 13 Languages
- Section IB – 20 Languages
- Section II – 27 Domain-specific Subjects
- Section III – General Test (For Vocational/Open Eligibility/Cross Stream/Any other as applicable)
|Language Test 1 A
|Language Test 1 B
Choice of SubjectsAs per the details given, this year NTA has introduced some key changes in the maximum number of subjects that can be chosen for the CUET 2023 exam.
- Earlier, the maximum number of tests to be taken was 9 only i.e. 2 Languages + 6 Domain Specific Subjects + 1 General Test OR 3 Languages + 5 Domain Specific Subjects + 1 General Test.
- This year, a candidate can choose up to 10 Subjects for giving the Exam as per the notification released by NTA.
Marking Scheme – CUET 2023It is important to note that there is no change in the marking scheme of the CUET 2023 examination. As per the CUET exam pattern, CUET-2023 marking scheme would be as follows:
For Multiple Choice Questions: To answer a question, you need to choose one option corresponding to the correct answer or the most appropriate answer. However, if any anomaly or discrepancy is found after the process of challenges of the key verification, it shall be addressed in the following manner:
- Correct answer or the most appropriate answer: Five marks (+5)
- Any incorrect option marked will be given minus one mark (-1).
- Unanswered/Marked for Review will be given no mark (0).
- If more than one option is found to be correct then Five marks (+5) will be awarded to only those who have marked any of the correct options.
- If all options are found to be correct then Five marks (+5) will be awarded to all those who have attempted the question.
- If none of the options is found correct or a question is found to be wrong or a question is dropped, then all candidates who have attempted the dropped question will be given five marks (+5) marks.
Why should you attempt CUET mock testsAttempting mock tests is a crucial part of your CUET exam preparation. It will help you become familiar with the revised CUET exam pattern, identify your weaknesses, help you develop effective time management strategies, and reduce anxiety and stress on the day of the exam. By regularly attempting CUET mock tests, you can increase your chances of succeeding on this exam and fulfill your dream of getting into the top central universities.
Let us understand why it is important to attempt CUET mock tests before your exam:
- Familiarity with the latest pattern: CUET 2023 mock tests based on the NTA CUET exam pattern provide candidates with an opportunity to become familiar with the latest CUET exam pattern. This will help them to better understand the format of the CUET exam, the types of questions that will be asked, and the time allotted for each section.
- Analyze your preparation: The smart analysis features such as Performance graphs, Speed graphs, Accuracy graphs, Time distribution graphs, Question preference, and Topic strength provided by the Smartkeeda CUET mock test series are extremely beneficial in developing candidates' competencies.
- Identify weaknesses: CUET Mock tests can also help candidates to identify their weaknesses and areas where they need to improve. By reviewing their performance on the CUET 2023 mock tests, candidates can identify the areas where they need to focus their study efforts and improve their performance on the actual exam.
- Time management: Attempting CUET 2023 mock tests based on the latest pattern can help candidates to develop effective time management strategies. By practicing with timed mock tests, candidates can learn to pace themselves and complete the exam within the allotted time.
- Reduce anxiety: Mock tests based on the latest CUET exam pattern can also help to reduce anxiety and stress on the day of the exam. Candidates who have practiced with mock tests will be more confident and better prepared for the actual exam, which can help to reduce anxiety and stress.
- Develop Confidence: Performing well in CUET mock tests will boost your self-confidence and provide you with the required motivation to do well in the CUET 2023 exams.
CUET App by SmartkeedaWe understand how mobile apps are the need of the hour as they provide a convenient way to study. You can access study materials anytime, anywhere, without the need for bulky books or study guides. This makes it easier to study while traveling, during breaks at work or school, or in any other spare time they have.
To get your preparation material at your fingertips, you can download the CUET App by Smartkeeda to kickstart your preparation for CUET 2023 exam. This app gives you access to 80+ subject-wise full-length CUET mock tests, & 300+ subject-specific short quizzes based on the latest CUET exam pattern for the CUET exam in Hindi as well as English, including the CUET geography test series, CUET psychology mock test, CUET accountancy mock test, CUET English mock test, CUET mock test for economics, CUET business studies mock test, CUET political science mock test, CUET general test mock test and much more with a single click.
Click here to download the app now!
Final WordsOverall, a change in the CUET exam pattern can be challenging for candidates, but it is important to adapt to these changes and adjust study plans accordingly. By being aware of the changes introduced in the CUET exam pattern, seeking guidance from experts, and practicing with CUET mock tests based on the latest CUET exam pattern, you can increase your chances of success. Since you have a unique opportunity to get a shining future by getting admitted to the top central universities, you must not miss this. CUET exams require focus, dedication, and hard work, but the rewards are tremendous.
Remember that every step you take towards your goal, no matter how small, is a step in the right direction. With perseverance and determination, you can overcome any obstacle and achieve success in CUET 2023 exams. So, stay focused, stay motivated, and never give up on your dreams.
Click here to attempt a free CUET mock test based on the latest CUET exam pattern!
Thanks & Regards
Preparing for LIC Assistant Mains Tips and Tricks
Preparing for LIC Assistant Mains 2024 – Tips and Tricks
22 Dec 2023
SBI Clerk Mains Our Complete Information Hub
SBI Clerk Mains 2023: Our Complete Information Hub
19 Dec 2023
SBI PO Mains Descriptive Test Strategy
How to score high in Descriptive Test in SBI PO Mains 2017 exam – SBI PO Exam Strategy by Toppers?
24 Nov 2023
Study Smart or Study Hard SBI PO Mains Strategy
Study smart or Study hard- Which Strategy to choose while preparing for SBI PO Mains Exam?
24 Nov 2023